Monday, March 7, 2016

Kenzo Estate and their excellent Asatsuyu

I had the fantastic opportunity to taste the Kenzo Estate's 2014 Asatsuyu, which is the name of their Sauvignon Banc. A guest was much more interested in scoring with his two dates than finishing his $200 bottle of wine. Yes, this guy had two ladies, and was not so subtle in his admission of hoping to score with both of them. I guess if you can afford Kenzo Estate, you can get two ladies. Lesson  learned. Any who, there was nearly a half bottle left which I enjoyed with my co-workers while I told them about about why this wine was so great. Most of my co-workers are unfortunately not really that interested in wine, but quickly became much more interested when they were so surprised by how much they enjoyed this particular wine.

Before I talk about the wine itself, I'll tell you what I told them. Not only is it a delicious wine from a well known producer, but it is overall just a cool wine. Being into video games myself, I appreciate that the owner is the creator of Capcom, and he's not one to just buy it and put his name on it. He extremely careful picked out his land as well as hired the best of the best to make his one the best wine humanly possible. The whole operation was guided by him to being a spare-no-expense type of deal. The only factor he cared about was making the best wine. Spend they did too, the winemakers he hired suggested removing 6 ft of top soil over the whole vineyard (about 4,000 acres). I don't know much something like that costs, but it was probably a lot, more like A LOT A LOT.

For a spare-no-expense type of winery, the prices are fairly reasonable. $200 (restaurant price) for a Sauvignon Blanc is pretty pricey, but it's also pretty delicious. Definitely one of the top Sauvignons Blancs in the United States. What is so great about it? It is a perfect example of classic Sauvignon Blanc, it has all the key markers lemongrass, green apple, lemon and lime zest, medium plus acidity. Super smooth and easy drinking. And although it has all the typical notes, what makes it truly stand out is how powerful and complex the flavors are, but how easy drinking it is at the same time. Super smooth, its the type of wine that a wine aficionado would deeply appreciate, but someone drinking wine for the first time would also completely love it. Highly recommended if you're a Sauvignon Blanc fan and can afford it. I give it 96 pts (I'm pretending to be Robert Parker).

1 comment:

  1. Your blog has inspired me and my friends to take a trip to Napa Valley this year. Thanks. We plan to make an appointment and visit the Kenzo Estate. Awesome blog!!

    ReplyDelete